Sunday, January 17, 2010

February Kickoff

Hi ladies! I'm so excited that you have decided to participate in this online book club. I wanted to lay out how I think this is going to work:

  • We will shoot to do one book per month. Depending on if we decide on a rather lengthy book, we may have to stretch it over two months, but we can play that by ear.
  • Everyone can suggest books for the upcoming month, then we will vote on which one we are going to read.
  • I will break the book up into segments so we will know what to focus on reading for the week.
  • I'll start a blog post for that week where we can all comment on the chapter(s) for that week.
  • I'm in the process of creating a blog frog community for this as well, where we can setup live chats to discuss the book.
  • Once a month (towards the end) I'd like to have a face to face meeting where we can all get together to discuss the book.
Of course, any suggestions are appreciated as we move through the first month of reading, I'd like this to be an interactive experience where are all participating and contributing.

So, without further ado - book suggestions for February? Please respond in the comments!

~Kristin

8 comments:

  1. These may be lame suggestion, Julie and Julia or The Time Travelers Wife. I haven't seen either of the movies so I though it would be fun to actually read the books first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read The Time Traveler's Wife and it was awesome! I've been wanting to read it again, so I'm up for that if everyone else wants to. I was also going to suggest possibly The Lovely Bones since that movie just came out. We'll see what everyone else has to say :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm great with either of those or would suggest Finding George Orwell in Burma by Emma Larkin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Lovely Bones sounds good too. I haven't heard of your suggestion Kari but I am open to anything to broaden my horizon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, so far we have the following suggestions:
    Julie and Julia by Julie Powell
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffeneger
    The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
    Finding George Orwell in Burma by Emma Larkin

    I also suggest the following:
    In the Woods by Tana French
    Midwives by Christopher A. Bohjalian

    I haven't read either of those, but I've been wanting to. After we compile a list of suggestions we can vote next week - I'm excited to get started :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey guys! I'm excited! Here's a couple suggestions to throw in the mix for this time or to come. The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch (I hadn't read it yet but know it's been out for awhile so you guys may have already) Another one is The Girls from Ames by Jeffrey Zaslow. It's about friendship and the lady I nannied for gave it to me for Christmas because she had heard about it and it reminded her of all of us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Lovely Bones would be good. I've also wanted to read TTW. The Girls that Shannon suggested also might be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone. I'll put up a voting post next week so we can finalize it :-)

    ReplyDelete